Thursday, May 23, 2013

Getting Ahead

When I find myself with some spare time I want to spend it with the people I love usually eating, drinking wine, chatting, watching whatever box set is in favour at the time, reading my book.......I could go on and on....!  BUT on other days I want to spend my spare time losing myself in the warmth of my kitchen, surrounded by my own organised chaos of dishes, ingredients recipe books and a glass of red wine (as my Mum's fridge magnet wisely says: 'I love to cook with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food')!  Today has been one of those days and the benefits are three-fold:

Firstly - I really enjoy it, the radio goes on and I absorb myself in chopping, stirring, boiling and frying.

Secondly - The end result is yummy food to eat!

Thirdly - I manage to get ahead.  This means I often use the time to make meals for the week ahead and either put them in the fridge or the freezer.  And when I get home after a busy day at work and there is a lovely meal already made which just needs popped into the oven, I am always grateful for my 'Get Ahead' days!

So today's get ahead treats have included:

Buttermilk scones
This is a recipe from my all time absolute favourite chef....Nigella Lawson.  I have all her recipe books and they are the ones I use the most.  I really like her programmes too and, love or hate her, I don't think anyone could argue that no one can make food sound as delicious as Nigella does!  This recipe is from her book, Nigella Kitchen and makes for the easiest but most delicious scones.  I am sharing this while drinking a cup of tea and tucking into one of the scones dripping with butter and golden syrup.


Vegetable and Cheddar Soup

Chocolate Traybake

Mashed Potato

No - I haven't gone mad thinking you need a recipe for Mashed Potato!  I tried something a little bit different though and boiled a large sweet potato with three normal potatoes then mashed them with creme fraiche, salt and pepper and some dried mixed herbs.  I am having it for tea tonight with meatloaf (the food not the singer although incidentally I do happen to love both!) and a dollop of onion marmalade.



So a productive day for me with a yummy dinner planned for this evening.  My mantra to you all, try to find the time to get ahead - you will not regret it!


No comments:

Post a Comment