Sunday, August 4, 2013

Red Pepper Hummus

I don't often buy dips but I do actually think that of the bought dip selection, hummus is generally one of the very good ones.  However, I could not resist trying my own version.  This is actually quite a versatile recipe because you could leave out the red peppers and just leave it as traditional hummus, or add any flavourings you fancy.  I have tried it with feta cheese, rocket and herbs - feel free to experiment but do let me know what you try and how you get on with it.

I serve this with crisps, crudites or pitta bread to dip but it is also nice spread onto oatcakes.  I have also served it as an accompaniment to my tagine or falafels.

One final point, I can find lots of ways to spell hummus - does anyone actually know what is the correct way?!

1 400 gram tin of chickpeas, drained
Zest and juice of one lemon
3 roast peppers from a jar
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
2 tablespoons of creme fraiche
Sesame oil
Salt and pepper

Put all the ingredients in a processor and whizz until smooth.

Additional Notes

Use as much or little sesame oil as you like to get the consistency and taste you want.







No comments:

Post a Comment